Thursday, February 5, 2009

Art Talk

Last night I went to a discussion with artist Lisa Adams and Shana Nys Dambrot at Lawrence Asher Gallery on Mid Wilshire. The gallery was packed and it was an excellent talk about Lisa's thought process in painting. I have known Lisa for many years and studied under her, and have always loved her work.

One of the things that stood out for me, was her take on the artworld. Like most artists, she wanted to get into the museum/ fame/ recognition scene. But the artworld, as I am finding, wants none of that. It is establishment. And, to be fair, I can understand galleries wanting to play it safe, as a solo show equals 1/10th or more of their income. Which is why it is so great to see work, like Lisa's, that is not mainstream in a major gallery. And many paintings have sold.

The other point she made, was one I had heard from other artists in art schools in the 70s, was that  nobody taught technique. You know, figure drawing, perspective, color theory, etc. It was said that if one is a true artist, one will figure out a way to create the image in one's mind. So all of Lisa's technique is self taught, and I find that incredible.

Show runs through Feb. 14th, if you get a chance, it is excellent.

No comments: