Saturday, February 28, 2009

Online art buying

I dropped off a painting at the gallery this morning. It will be included in next month's group show, with the opening next Saturday. That was a nice surprise.

Gino, the gallery owner, had a friend who bought a painting from an artist's website, and was disappointed when it arrived. The painting did not look like what he thought he was buying. Online buying is fine, and I do sell paintings from my website. However, what you see on the screen is going to be quite different from what the actual piece looks like, no matter how good the photographer. There are too many variables. Computer screens differ dramatically from one to the other and no photo ever truly looks like a painting. I do my best to post images on my website that depict the painting as it is, but it never looks the same.

So if you see something online you like, be sure to see it in person before you take it home. And that makes the gallery system even more valuable.

No comments: